Thursday, September 6, 2012

Caramelized Green Beans AKA Best Green Beans Ever

So there's these girls that have this blog called Our Best Bites.  That blog turned into a cookbook.  I. Love. This. Cookbook.  It's called Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen. I'm pretty sure there isn't a recipe on their blog or their cookbook I've tried that I have not liked.  They're awesome...and so are these green beans that I got from their cookbook.  A bit of sugar, a lot of garlic, and a handful of bacon; three of my favorite ingredients.  How could these not be good?


I barely put my own twist on these from the original recipe and it's mainly because my husband can't stand onions so I never cook with them.  If you like onions in your food, check out the original post by Our Best Bites.  I am a little lazier than Our Best Bites as I use jarred minced garlic and pre-ground pepper, too - but it's what I always have on hand so I use what I have.  Plus, I canNOT stand the smell of garlic on my hands.  Maybe it takes practice to press the garlic without touching it but I haven't been able to do it yet.

Caramelized Green Beans
easilymadeeasilybroken.blogspot.com

1 lb. frozen cut green beans
1/2 lb. bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
Ground pepper

1.  Begin by frying up your bacon and boiling your water for the green beans.  The recipe calls for 1/2 lb of chopped bacon.  To save a little time, I chop the bacon when it's raw.  It seems to cook quicker and doesn't require turning; just some stirring.  

2.  Mix the 2 Tbsp. sugar, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. of Kosher salt together in a separate bowl.  You won't add this yet but you can prepare it while the bacon is cooking and water is boiling.  Also make sure you have your garlic handy as you will be using it soon.

3.   Once the bacon is ready (we I like it crisp!), remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb the grease.

4.  When the water is boiling you're going to add the green beans for just about 3 minutes not to the point of cooking but just to basically thaw them and brighten the color a bit.  Then drain the beans.

5.  In the meantime, take some of the bacon grease (about 2 Tbsp.) and some olive oil (about 1 Tbsp.) and heat it on medium for about 2 minutes in the pan you cooked the bacon in.  Discard the rest of the bacon grease (or save it like I do).  Once the oil/grease is heated add the minced garlic for 1 minute.  Continue stirring so the garlic does not burn.

6.  Add the drained beans to the pan with the garlic and oil for about 2 minutes and continue stirring.

7.  Stir the sauce you pre-made and add it to beans.  Continue stirring as you cook so the sauce coats the beans and begins to create the carmelization.  You will continue cooking for about 2 more minutes.

8.  Add the bacon and about a 1/4-1/2 tsp of pepper (again the recipe calls for fresh ground pepper which is probably best but I go with what I have).  Keep stirring the mixture for about 2-3 more minutes until your beans get that caramelized look.

9.  Transfer the beans to a separate container and allow them to sit so the glaze will thicken and stick more to the beans.  Often I take these to a pot luck and put it in the crockpot to stay warmed up and the glaze takes to the beans beautifully.

Since this is my first attempt at writing up a recipe, please let me know if there's something I missed...or just not quite right.  Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!  Thanks Our Best Bites!












No comments:

Post a Comment