Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


My second-born has a birthday today.  I always make cookie cakes for my kids on their birthday. Today, however, when it came time to bake his cookie cake, I realized I didn’t have any chocolate chips.  I’m not sure how that happened because I always have ingredients for chocolate chip cookies but not today.  Ugh. 

What I did have in my cupboards were Nestle Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels that I bought on clearance after Christmas because they’re apparently only sold during winter months, appropriately.  These have morsels of dark chocolate mixed with mint flavored morsels.  We all like mint chocolate chip ice cream so I figured, why not?  This year he gets a Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with buttercream frosting.  Sounds delish!  I'll be posting about that later.

Today I'm sharing the cookies I made with the leftover cookie dough from the cookie cake.  These are actually the recipe for Nestle Tollhouse Cookies on the package.  I just substituted the Nestle Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels. I'm not really being creative here but they are sooooo minty, chocolatey good!

If you have a hard time finding dark chocolate and mint morsels, they are still around on Amazon here. Also, Andes makes some mini-Andes mints that are super good too called Andes Creme de Menthe Chocolate Mint Baking Chips.


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups (10-oz pkg) Nestle Toll House Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels
  1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. 
  2.  In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Slowly beat the flour mixture in to the wet ingredients.  Once everything is beaten, fold the chocolate chips into the mixture with a spatula. 
  3. Use a tablespoon to drop onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 350˚ F for 11-13 minutes, until edges turn golden brown.
  5. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes.  Then you can move them to cooling racks to finish cooling.
  6. Serve with a little milk to make a wonderful dessert!
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment